The development of the person of the psychotherapist is central to holistic psychotherapy education.
The development of the person of the psychotherapist is central to holistic psychotherapy education. The Inner Work 2 unit develops greater self-awareness and understanding of students’ own interpersonal relationship styles and how their personal experiences have influenced their values, ethics and ways of being. Building on the content of Inner Work 1, students will deepen their awareness and access deeper levels of consciousness.
Students will participate in 10 sessions of personal psychotherapy with an independent PACFA-registered psychotherapist or an existing health practitioner. Students may choose to change to another psychotherapist within their 10 hours. If students are already in therapy, they may continue with an existing health practitioner. Students’ personal psychotherapy is confidential.
Assessment tasks in this unit encourage submission of a log of completed therapy hours, reflection on the learning about psychotherapeutic processes, self and interactions with others developing out of their psychotherapy.
Year 2, Semester 1
30 minutes before and after workshop intensives and by appointment during the semester
On completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- (a) Critically reflect on the experience of personal psychotherapy and develop awareness of their interpersonal relationship style and impact on others.
- (b) Critically evaluate their development as psychotherapists.
- (c) Articulate and reflect on links between their personal experience and their development of values, ethics and ways of being.
- (d) Develop access to deeper levels of consciousness and articulate their insights and learning about psychotherapeutic processes.
- (e) Demonstrate critical awareness of their strengths and limitations as psychotherapists, thereby knowing when to appropriately refer clients and seek their own therapy.
|Ethical practice and integrity||Our graduates will demonstrate high ethical standards in their practice and follow professional Codes of Ethics to do good (beneficence) and avoid harm (maleficence)|
|Professionalism||Our graduates will have a highly developed understanding of their work roles and responsibilities and uphold a high level of professional conduct in their work|
|Holistic awareness||Our graduates will have an in-depth understanding of how the physical body, the psyche and mind/ spirit/self are in constant interaction and relationship with each other and with the environment|
|Communication||Our graduates will have well-developed written and oral communication skills, including listening deeply and receiving, interpreting and transmitting complex information, on many levels of awareness with colleagues, clients and the community|
|Critical thinking||Our graduates will have critical thinking skills necessary to evaluate and analyse information and make informed professional judgements|
Workshop intensive on-campus, Start of Semester 3
9:00 am – 5:00 pm
12 hours in total.
3 x 1.5 hour Zoom discussions. Total = 4.5 hours Synchronous Online Training.
Study Buddy activities
12 hours over the semester, guided by lecturer
The total unit workload is equivalent to 6.625 hours per week over the semester, 106 hours in total.
- 12 hours on-campus workshop intensive
- 4.5 hour Zoom discussion
- 12 hours study buddy work, with lecturer involvement
77.4 personal study hours plus 15 hours personal therapy
Available in Courses
This unit is available in the following courses:Master of Counselling and Psychotherapy (Holistic Practice)
Created: April 28, 2021, 4:48 p.m. • Updated: Oct. 16, 2023, 2:07 p.m.