Wed, 29 Mar 2023
The policy provides a framework for Metavision Institute to benchmark course and unit development, curriculum, assessment, processes, activities and outcomes for its higher education courses and operations.
This policy applies to all members of the higher education community at Metavision Institute.
Benchmark: An external point of reference or standard against which courses, units, assessment activities, policies, processes, services and/or student outcomes may be evaluated.
Benchmarking is a structured quality assurance process conducted collegially in order to compare course design, assessment, policies, processes, services and student evaluations and outcomes across higher education providers to identify comparative strengths and weaknesses and inform ongoing improvements.
Relevant TEQSA Threshold Standards
This policy aligns with requirements of Sections 5.3 Monitoring, Review and Improvement, 6.2 Corporate Monitoring and Accountability, and 6.3 Academic Governance in the Higher Education Standards Framework 2021.
- Metavision Institute develops benchmarking of course structures at initial stages of course development to identify disciplinary standards and norms, and to inform course design, while maintaining its educational philosophy and approach.
- The Teaching and Learning Plan identifies academic benchmarking activities to be undertaken in the following three-year period, including moderation of assessment. Benchmarking is carried out as an exercise in comparative analysis with other higher education providers. The results of benchmarking are used as the basis for ongoing improvements to courses, units, policies and processes.
- The Academic Board will implement periodic reviews of courses and units with benchmarking partners, as outlined in the Quality Assurance Policy and the Course Evaluation and Review Policy. Implementation
The Academic Board will implement this policy by:
- Identifying other providers of higher education counselling and psychotherapy education to be benchmarking partners of Metavision Institute and developing memoranda of understanding, to be signed by the Academic Director,
- Delegating benchmarking activities to the Teaching and Learning Committee,
- Undertaking comparisons of course structures, learning outcomes, unit curriculum, assessment, student evaluation and student outcomes with benchmarking partners,
- Benchmarking academic and institutional policies and practices and making recommendations for improvements on the basis of comparison, and
- Reporting on recommendations for improvements on a periodic basis to the Governance Board.
The Academic Board is responsible for implementation of this policy, and for oversight of the ongoing comparative review of courses and units through regular benchmarking activities. The Academic Board delegates academic benchmarking activities to the Teaching and Learning Committee.
The Teaching and Learning Committee is responsible for implementing benchmarking agreements and reporting to the Academic Board on recommendations for improvements arising out of benchmarking activities with other higher education providers.
The Academic Director is responsible for approving Memoranda of Understanding with benchmarking partners.
- Strategic Plan
- Teaching and Learning Plan 2019-2021 [currently under review by Governance Board]
- Benchmarking MOU Template