Wed, 29 Mar 2023
Staff Selection Recruitment Appointment and Professional Equivalency Policy
This policy sets out Metavision Institute’s policy for the selection, recruitment and appointment of new staff on the basis of merit and consistent with all legislative requirements. The policy aims to ensure that new staff meet selection criteria for positions and have the potential to contribute and develop further in Metavision Institute’s workforce. This policy also sets out the framework for establishing professional equivalency of qualifications to ensure academic teaching staff are appropriately qualified to teach in Metavision Institute’s higher education postgraduate qualifications.
This policy applies to the process of selection, recruitment and appointment for all vacancies, inclusive of academic, professional and administrative positions, at Metavision Institute. A mapping process for professional equivalence of qualifications is provided to ensure that academic teaching staff with appropriate qualifications, combined with extensive professional experience in relevant disciplines, contribute to teaching and leadership of intellectual inquiry, in Metavision Institute’s higher education postgraduate courses.
Appointment means a preferred applicant has agreed to terms and conditions of employment and has signed an employment contract.
Ongoing employment does not have a specified end date. Ongoing employment continues until the employee resigns or employment is terminated according to the termination terms of the employment contract.
Professional equivalency refers to the mapping of academic teaching staff qualifications and experience to assess their eligibility for academic positions, and to ensure they have the required knowledge, skills and experience for their level of appointment to teach and to lead intellectual enquiry in Metavision Institute’s higher education postgraduate courses at AQF Levels 8 and 9.
Recruitment refers to the period of discussion of terms and conditions with the preferred applicant. Sessional Academic Teaching Staff Members are engaged and paid by the hour with no guarantee or expectation of work beyond the period of the employment agreement.
Staff Selection refers to the process of advertising a position and then assessing applications to identify a small group of outstanding candidates for interview, so as to select a preferred applicant.
Relevant TEQSA Threshold Standards
This policy aligns with Sections 3.2: Staffing in relation to the recruitment of academic teaching staff and professional experience and expertise equivalence; 6: Governance and Accountability particularly 6.21.F: Corporate Monitoring and Accountability, Mechanisms for competent academic governance and leadership and 6.3: Academic Governance, and 7.3.3 Information Management, Secure Storage of Records in the Higher Education Standards Framework 2015.
1. Staff selection and recruitment is based solely on merit. Metavision Institute’s objective is to recruit the best available staff, with the required and relevant:
- Cognate qualifications and/or equivalent professional experience,
- A high level of skills, including communication and interpersonal skills, and
- Demonstrated experience and abilities, and
- Contemporary knowledge in their field or discipline.
2. Academic teaching staff must hold relevant cognate qualifications at least one AQF level above the course in which they teach.
3. Assessment of professional equivalency is conducted using the Professional Equivalency Criteria set out in Appendix one. Professional equivalency can only be assessed to one AQF level above the highest qualification held by an academic teaching staff member. Professional equivalency will not be used for academic leadership positions, including the Academic Director Higher Education, Associate Dean, Course Coordinator and Placement Lecturer.
4. Metavision Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer. There is no discrimination in its employment practices. Applicants are not discriminated against on the basis of ethnicity, culture, national origin, religion, age, gender identity, intersex status, disability, sexual orientation, relationship status, citizen status, parental status, pregnancy, and/or political beliefs.
1. Detailed position descriptions, including responsibilities, key performance indicators and selection criteria, are developed and approved by the senior line manager for all positions in Metavision Institute.
3. Confidential records of professional equivalency mapping against the Professional Equivalence Criteria in Appendix one for eligible academic teaching staff are maintained and monitored by Academic Board.
1. Recruitment and advertising for academic staff positions requires the prior approval of the Academic Director Higher Education, and recruitment and advertising for professional and administrative positions requires the prior approval of the Executive Officer, to ensure compliance with this policy and all relevant legislation.
2. Metavision Institute aims to provide career paths for employees wherever possible. Therefore, staff are advised of vacant positions.
3. Advertisements for vacant and new positions specify the following: position title, responsibilities, location of the position, selection criteria including required qualifications and experience, the application requirements including a cover letter and CV, contact details and the closing date for applications.
1. All applications for advertised positions at Metavision Institute are to be acknowledged.
2. The Academic Director Higher Education will assess all academic applications and chair the selection panel. The Executive Officer will assess all professional and administrative applications and chair the selection panel.
3. Suitable applicants who meet the selection criteria are shortlisted for interview.
4. Interview panels comprise a minimum of two persons and are gender-balanced. An Academic Board member is invited onto the interview panel for academic positions. A Governance Board member is invited onto the interview panel for administrative and professional positions.
5. The interview panel jointly develops interview questions that are relevant to the responsibilities of the position and the selection criteria.
Following the completion of interviews, a minimum of two referees for the preferred candidate is contacted for reference checks using pro forma questions. Qualifications are verified by requiring submission of certified testamurs and records of results. If necessary, for example for overseas appointments, the institution conferring the qualification is contacted.
6. The successful candidate is provided with the terms and conditions of employment in writing.
1. New staff members may not commence until they have signed the employment contract.
2. All new staff members must participate in Metavision Institute’s induction program.
The Academic Board is responsible for monitoring academic teaching staff qualifications and scholarship and research outputs.
The Academic Director Higher Education and Executive Officer are responsible for the implementation of this policy, and for the selection, recruitment and appointment of new staff.
They are to ensure that:
- Approved positions are specified in the budget,
- Selection, recruitment and appointment are conducted according to this policy,
- The selection, recruitment and appointment process is professional and confidential, and
- A balance of ongoing and sessional academic teaching staff is maintained.